As our next District Attorney, Chesa's first priority will be to improve public safety by fundamentally reforming our broken criminal justice system that is expensive, inefficient, unjust and inhumane.
CHESA WILL WORK TO:
- End mass incarceration. 2/3 of people are back in prison within three years of their release. Breaking the cycle of crime and incarceration is the only way to make us safe.
- Give crime victims a voice in every case. Justice needs to include all of us.
- Eliminate cash bail. It allows dangerous people with money to buy their way out while poor people languish in jail regardless of how weak the evidence is against them.
- Equal enforcement of the law. Effectively prosecute police misconduct. Investigate and prosecute political corruption, corporate crime and landlords who break laws to exploit tenants.
- End racist disparities. They plague every step of our criminal justice system.
- Treat every arrest as an opportunity for intervention. In San Francisco, 75% of all people booked into jail suffer from serious mental illness, drug addiction – or both.
- Focus resources on serious and violent felonies. Two-thirds of the cases that go to trial in San Francisco are misdemeanors – a tremendous waste of resources.